24 November 2008

Double Trouble



Double Century 2008 (205km), Saturday, 22 November 2008

The DC weekend... where do I start?

It is the 'price-giving', the pinnacle, the summit, the big day of our cycling group... it is many things... you get invited, you train and play together and then D-day sneaks up on you... lets call it DC day for this story! The year's built-up will now materialize... who will come through who will crack... no more talking the big game... it is show time!

The night before Johan organized stunning pasta for the evening and we have single digit glasses of wine... basically got ourselves fed and ready for an early night... from 3:30 the alarm clocks will stirr the DC warriors to life... we were greeted with stunning weather... thick cloud base, no rain not cold at all... just perfect!

We were the 7th team to start... 5:32, which means we should be back before the sun and wind takes it toll... we aim for under 7 hours... calculations say 30km / h average... and there are some mountains in between... OK they are hills if you watch the Tour de France!

As we roll out... I do not pick up any speed readings... I put my front wheel on the wrong way round... there goes my stats! Niel silently admitted he did the same... hard-core cyclists, pathetic mechanics... or am I talking to confidently to quick?

We passed two teams within 10km... and the Ladies Coronation Team within 15km... may I add we could have stayed in their slip for a bit, but us not being an all male team the choice was made for us immediately... 'morning ladies',' looking good','enjoy the ride',' love your outfit'... just a few drooly comments made by our young warriors as we loose focus of the battle to fight as we pass them... of course I as a responsible soon to be dad did not falter!

Tradouw's Pass was a breeze... we climbed over it in no time... not even a flash back of previous years drama when we hit that mountain at the end of the race apposed to now just as we warmed up... things are looking good!

At Barrydale we turned left and things started to heat up... the big hill 20km away and we try to make up some time... I find myself next to Helgard out in the front... setting the pace with
Desmond the Rapport Tour veteran giving instructions... which generally means go faster! Helgard is strong, I'm... well just plain stupid to be out front... but we push on making good time... Scott faffing around Martie... Hans yum-yumming on some snack... Henk looking serious... Niel trying to figure out what to do next... Christo, Seppie and Billy talking shit as usual and keeping the inner workings of the peleton alive... who did I leave out... o yes Johan looking like he's been doing this all his life... what a team!

We hit Op de Tradouw Pass in good rhythm.. once again we go up easily... Scott just could not stand that Hans and I might reach the top first and did a all out dash for the support vehicles... King of the Mountain was nabbed from our outstretched arms!

The first stop (+-60km)... we refilled and ate... yum-yum-yum...

Now things really got serious... the pace was hot and the boys worked hard out front... a few kilometers from Montagu Scott announced he has retired from faffing about Martie... jumped to the front, raced ahead of the pack picking up the pace, but just as we manage to close the gap to ride his wheel he falls back... Christo and I looked at each other confused, recovering from the whip-lash... trying and figure out what happened?... never a dull moment with Mr Corry!... we resumed at normal pace out front... Christo steaming ahead like a locomotive, I hanging onto the pace for dear life!

Montagu (+-100km) produced two flat tyres... Scott fixed his snake bite in record time... in minutes we were going again... then Helgard's front wheel went... luckily Kokkie in the backup vehicle was right behind us and we changed the wheel... the best was in the few seconds this took place and official looking official race-vehicle stops and the very official looking race-official tells us we're on the wrong route... what a joke! For a few seconds Johan and I were amazed and confused (we'll at least I was)... Johan ends up taking the official's map explaining where we are and where we're going... he oooed and aaaed and realized he has just made a complete fool of himself, he quickly thanked us and sped off!

Helgard suggested we get the peleton to 'roll' and share the lead... not all participated and we did not get it going properly... then our team almost got taken out at a 4 way stop in Ashton... our lead boys thought the old man gave up the right of way... but he drove off and stopped just in time not hit our peleton head-on, old man waving and hooting... this was a point where the lost official should have been... anyway, we survived and I hope the old man took his heart pills and calmed down... always this 'thing' with cyclists and car drivers isn't it?

We turn left to Bonnievale at the Worcester round-about (+-120km). Henk screaming in agony when we crossed the railway-line... the bump activated a leg cramp and almost caused him to kiss the tarmac! We set a nice pace and Johan looking as fresh as if he just joined us, will not say daisy as it would not sound macho enough... Hans yum-yum-yum... the group quiet and serious.

Bonnievale took for ever to appear... the route changed and we did not know what laid ahead... Seppie said to me a one stage "Only 5 to go!"... it turned out 5x5 to go... what a mind bugger! A nasty hill took us up to the last stop (+-160km). ... less than 40 to go... but we all knew the worst was yet to come!

I ate and drank and jumped on my bike... Scott gave me some poison of sorts to drink... he joins me as we slowly roll out... we chat and discuss things... and realize we started too early and decided to wait for the team... as I stop and try to un-clip... both legs went into vicious spasms as the cramps grabbed my calves, biceps and gluts... I screamed in desperate agony trying not to fall... luckily my left foot game out of the pedal and somehow I managed not to fall over... what a pathetic sight it must have been... the hardcore cyclist now honking and kicking like a dying donkey... my muscle were hurt... but I managed to get going again... knowing my race has just started... 3 km's later I feel ok, nursing the legs and turning the legs to work the spasms away... then we hit a hill , I gear down to stand... aaarrrrghhhhh! This time I do not know how I managed to get a foot out and not fall flat on my face... I was in desperate pain and almost started panicking... Scott wanted to help, but I shook my head and we both knew it was over... "we had this talk before" he said, I was so glad he understood that it be best to let sleeping dogs lie... or should it be best to let dead dogs alone!

The team carried on... I managed to get onto the bike and cycle up the hill, once again managing the legs for a few km's then just before the T-junction (+-180km). where you turn right to Swellendam I cramped so badly I actually fell off but managed to stop myself and the bike to hit the tarmac... it was so pathetic I had to laugh at myself despite the pain. The backup vehicle stopped behind me... and low and behold there were two extra faces it the van... Henk and Seppie also retired... looking beaten and smiling sheepish... I wasn't alone like last year... what a relief!

We had the pleasure of seeing our mates concur the big climbs... Billy looking like death warmed up... Johan fresh as a daisy! Christo, Scott and Desmond looking strong... Hans, Niel, Helgard and Martie grinding it out... tuff tuff tuff!

The team rode 7:18 official time and although we did not break 7 hours, it was an Epic ride!

I for one have bad stats, done 5 only finished 2! OK one was a crash, but two years in a row I could not finish... he he he... so much for the hard core cyclist!

That night we had Hans' amazing pizzas... which EXTRA garlic... Desmond you wicked pizza packer! The wounds licked and laughter joyous... and double digit glasses of wine!

We celebrated another fantastic DC... another fantastic year as cycling friends... and just to round it all off... The Amabokke Bokke kicked England's ass so badly... my cramps were nothing compared to that hiding!

Did I enjoy reliving this story!

No comments:

Post a Comment